Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Some thoughts...

OK, here goes...

I am 40 years old. That is something that just doesn't want to sink in for me. Ask me to describe the "typical" 40 year old, and with the exception of being follicle challenged, I don't feel I fit into that category. So I got THAT going for me...

Next, ask most single women what they want in a guy (based on my extensive research in this area) and they will tell you some of the most important traits include someone who is intelligent, funny, creative, loyal, and romantic. Well I have above average intelligence; I am quick witted (so I have been told); I am a musician, writer, composer, singer, and actor; my circle of best friends has been around for over 20 years and there isn't anything I wouldn't do for them; and on the rare occasion I do have a girlfriend, I have done everything in my power to go above and beyond the call of duty to make her feel special and loved. So I got THAT going for me...

What I don't have going for me is well – a girlfriend. Now what is wrong with this picture? I have women who are friends, even some who are unattached, and they all say the same thing – "There is someone out there for you..." or "You are such a Nice Guy..." or even "You are such an awesome guy, it will happen...." That last one happened one night while I was out with a girl who I thought was my DATE! I know some of these women would be ideal for me if they only took a moment or two to realize I seriously am the catch they so easily praise.

I call this predicament "Big Brother Syndrome". Somehow I manage to get close to women who say I am boyfriend material without them ever seeing that I could be their boyfriend.

I have tried things. I have a friend who has done extensive research on this, I mean full on book reading on "How To Get Any Woman" type of research, as well as textbook psychology tips and tricks. According to these sources, I need to play a series of games that will, on a subconscious level, endear me to the woman I am trying to pursue. Sorry, that's not for me. I firmly believe I am simply who I am (damn... sounded like Popeye there for a second) and that being myself is the best and only way to be, regardless of the company I keep.

I tried the Internet dating scene, and still have a couple of profiles floating out there. I have even met a few women, a couple of whom I have even had some chemistry and potential with, but nothing substantial has emerged. Outside circumstances seemed to get in the way, things as valid as simple unavailability due to work or school schedules in some cases to sheer lunacy (on her part – I am completely normal... really... I am) in others. Oh, and one website in particular (I won't mention names but the name sounds like a choir singing a well balanced "E" chord -- come on you crossword gurus, that was a good clue) wanted $50 a month to help me find my soulmate. I even tried it for 3 months (they were having a special) and though I was directed to quite a few women who I supposedly am highly compatible with in well over 40 "important areas", I met exactly zero of them in person.

Don't get me started on my lady friends who have yet to try to hook me up with their single friends – once I was in a conversation with several people including a woman I know who tried to hook up – the guy to my right – with one of her friends. Maybe I wasn't giving off the "boyfriend material" vibe that day.

Someone MUST have some creative input here. I am listening.

I refuse however to pine over this situation. To my Parents I will continue to say it is a two-person agreement, and for my part I am doing all I can. Enough said. I will continue to be open minded and ready for whatever is placed in front of me.

Enough of that…

I am listening to the CD Snow by Spock's Beard – for the umpteenth time. Damn this is one incredible album. I have given this CD as a gift on several occasions to friends. It falls in the category of Progressive Rock (Kansas, Yes, and Dream Theater also fall into this category). I am telling you, buy this double CD. When you sit down and listen to it a second time (which I know you will), wear headphones and really listen. It is truly a masterpiece of musicianship, vocals, and composition. Amazing! In particular, I love the "Overture" and the 4-part a cappella fugue at the end of "The Devil's Got My Throat".

Tomorrow I am going hosting a screening of The Brothers Grimm. I am a spokesperson for Sacticket and get to see most new movies several days before they open. I will let you all know what I think about the movie.

That is all.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Rog, what can I say? Being a gay man, I feel I can speak for straight women with a little more authority than a straight guy. ;-)

So here goes.

I'm sure the studies you cite are correct — that women want intelligence, loyalty, romance, etc. — but, like any surveys, they are only as good as the the imformation provided. Women would like to think that they are above the superficiality and shallowness of physical attraction — and some of them might actually believe it — but truth be told, we are all biological creatures. So when women say they want these admirable qualities in a man, they're not lying. But what they're not telling you is they want those qualities to come in the package of a soap-opera hunk.

Other studies have shown that people — men and women — are biologically programmed to go through three stages in a successful relationship: 1) lust, 2) love, and 3) contentment. In other words, physical attraction comes before the head-over heels part, and then contentment is reached if it's truly a match. A good half of all relationships never make it to the third stage, which is why they fail.

What makes matters even more challenging, is that men and women tend to go through these stages on different schedules. Men tend to stay in stage 1 much monger than women. And it takes most men longer than women to reach stage 3.

Why do I know all this? Because I am sponge for trivia and I listen to NPR a lot. Maybe these studies are valid, maybe they're bunk. But it's somthing to think about at the very least.

And if you haven't figured out who this is yet, you and I were both in Company and Pippin years ago. And for a while, we both lost our minds and worked for PTV.

August 25, 2005 7:23 AM  
Blogger Roger C. said...

Thus my scheduled appointment with the plastic surgeon and gastric bypass guy...

August 25, 2005 8:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i read this article in a chronic state of disbelief, i must say ;-)

ygraine

May 06, 2006 7:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I've found you and I love you... heart, body, mind and soul...

September 25, 2008 6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home