Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Sexual Harassment...

So a new article appeared on MSNBC stating sexual harassment affects most college students. I have some things to say on this matter –

1. I have never been sexually harassed... dammit.

2. I am concered about the direction our country is heading. I know our nation was founded by Puritans who wanted to escape the debauchery of the old world, but here in the 21st century, we need to loosen our ties a bit. It has become so bad that I wouldn't DARE ask a co-worker out on a date for fear of repercussions. It was just as bad or worse when I was teaching (for those who do not know me, I have spent the better part of the last 10 years teaching adults). You look at a girl in the wrong way and you are "coming on to her" inappropriately. I spent a brief stint working for an insurance company and the girl who ran the copy room was rather attractive. One day I got called into the boss' office and was reprimanded for making unwanted advances toward her... Huh? Yeah, the extent of my "advances" was stopping to say Hi and striking up a little conversation while getting supplies out of the room.

I was once pulled into my Training Manager's office for being degrading to women by using "Yeah Baby (Austin Powers quote)" during my lesson. Someone found that offensive and complained. I seriously don't get it. When did people decide to become so thin-skinned?

I am not saying sexual harassment doesn't exist, but I categorically deny ever being inappropriate in the work place, and I think people should step back sometimes and get perspective.

If any girls are reading this - before you go tossing around sexual harassment complaints consider that just because a guy has found you interesting and asks you out, that is not sexual harassment. Just because a guy takes a moment, stops and says "Hi", that is not sexual harassment. You are the fairer sex and your company is enjoyed. Use common sense and consider the damage potential of the allegations. Thanks Babe!

Comment from:
DBooth said...

Perhaps these links to Sexual Harassment training films can help clear up some of the confusion.

Link 1

Link 2

January 26, 2006 2:25 PM

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is due to a complete lack of training about what sexual harassment is by both the employees and the management. A little training in that area would go a long way.

Legally asking a coworker out, once, is not sexual harassment.

January 24, 2006 3:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is the feminists' fault...

Bitches, all of them!

January 25, 2006 3:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was such a nice remark to bad you can't tell us your name anonymous. To scared to deal with the crap you might just recieve for that wonderful remark?

January 25, 2006 7:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps these links to Sexual Harassment training films can help clear up some of the confusion.

http://www.youtube.com/w/Sexual-Harassment-And-You?v=l64QTDRn_yk&search=sexual%20harassment

http://www.youtube.com/w/Sexual-Harassment-in-the-Work-Place?v=Novd3aFcqvI&search=sexual%20harassment

January 26, 2006 2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home