Monday, December 05, 2005

More annoying things...

Capital punishment is in the news again, this time pertaining to Stanley "Tookie" Williams. If his sentence is commuted, he will spend the rest of his life behind bars without the possibility of parole.

Here's my position (one of the few times you will see me get political on this site): I am absolutely against life imprisonment, and I do believe in capital punishment. Here we have somebody who has been convicted of crimes so heinous that society has determined that not only does he offer no useful benefit to society, but is also a risk to its safety. The result of this determination is taxpayers now have to pay his room, food, utilities, recreation, medical and dental benefits (which I, a law abiding, tax paying citizen don't have), and other necessary living expenses. According to the Department of Justice, it costs $22,632 a year, or $62.01 a day to house one inmate (as of 2001, these are the latest calculated figures). So, let's assume no inflation, and use a general number of 500 "lifers" (there are far more than that) – If they all were incarcerated at the same time, and lived the same duration of 45 years behind bars (that's gotta be conservative what with all the excellent treatment), that would be $509,220,000. Now you and I both know these figures aren't entirely accurate, but the basic math doesn't lie. Let's give this money to charity or use it to establish work programs and housing solutions for our impoverished.

You can throw all the morality issues you want at me, but the bottom line is, these are people who have proven they do not want to live by the rules of society. You read about them reforming in prison – Of course they've reformed! That's because they finally have realized the consequences of their actions and the impending outcome. If we are not going to parole them, then why are we sustaining them? Capital punishment is only a deterrent if its threat is very real. I am not uncaring and uncompassionate, and I do believe in the sanctity of human life. I am not talking about "an eye for an eye" either. I simply maintain that if it has been determined that the risks of returning an individual to society are so high we have to keep them behind bars until they die, then we should get rid of them, not unlike any other thing which has outlived its usefulness.

Along those lines, I think our appeal process needs an overhaul as well. Our judicial system provides that we either convict or acquit someone based on all the available evidence in one trial. Great! BUT – should someone be found guilty, then we have the appeal process, which is conducted on a point by point basis, each with the possibility of escalating to the next higher court. Since each contested point is handled individually, prisoners on death row can be there for 24 years (see above article on Mr. Williams). I say that if convicted, the legal team of the defendant is allowed to make a summary appeal of all the points of contention. This can be escalated as necessary, but there should be a time limit on this. This process can be handled in no more than two years! Why does it take 24? I am sorry, there can't possibly be that much legal wrangling that has to be done at this point. C'mon, a couple of my friends out there are attorneys – fill me in! Educate me! Why? Stop wasting my tax money to keep Charles Manson alive!

Rant over. I am calm now. Please feel free to respond, and enjoy this picture of Kristin Bell of Veronica Mars fame.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok I don't think life in Prison is a great option. If they are sentence to never get out as they are to dangerous then end their life so I don't have to pay for the feed clothing and shelter. What about our homeless who live worse off then them why are we not using the money to house them. Or our education systme is suffering I would much rather have my tax dolllars go to that then prisoners. I don't want to feed them.Sentence to death then die soon so I don't have to pay to keep you alive

December 05, 2005 7:45 PM  
Blogger kenny r said...

My unalterable position on "prisoner's rights", is that when a person chooses to disregard laws and the value of life, they no longer deserve the same priviledges law-abiding people have earned. I thought prison was supposed to be punishment, not free room & board with meals, entertainment and healthcare!! JFC! That money that goes towards those things, for people who do not deserve it and have proven so by their decision to commit crimes, is just money down the drain that could be put to many better uses.

You choose to break serious laws, especially those involving children or murder, all but your most basic "rights" should be waived.

December 05, 2005 9:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tim Carden
This seems to be an issue that will get to everyone at one time or other. I would like to start off by saying that I do believe in capital punishment. However, it seems that executing a person that has not been given the death penalty based on how much his/her life will cost us (the law abiding citizen) is at best a half cocked emotional reaction to the stresses of what life has been dealing you. I would be more in favor of executing all the members of OPEC (Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries) or the bureaucratic fat cats that allow us to be raped by their corporate cash cows. There is a great deal wrong with the Judicial system most of which has been put into place based on how someone or group of some ones felt was far. The law was never meant to be far, it was intended to be just. Now the question is, is justice being done if we are to kill prisoners that have no chance for release that have not been sentenced to death. No. The entire prison structure and punishment structure needs to be changed. Prison should be punishment, reform programs should be available after a prisoner is released, and the only rights a prisoner should have is medical, legal and basic education. The punishments need to be change to fit the crime, I think it is a greater crime to sexually abuse a child than transporting 5 pounds of pot, but in most cases the sexual abuser will be back out on the street before the pothead. I understand that we have heard this all before and it doesn’t make us feel any better. But don’t be blue I have an idea. We lobby to change the life in prison laws, citing that it is inhuman to keep a person in prison for life with no change of getting out. That all of these prisoners are killed one year after their last appeal. Any prisoner that does what to live out their day in prison can register for life. Here is the part I like. Any and all of you crying for what is far, sad dumb assess can sponsor one of these register prisoner for a year at a time. The government will lift that tax burdened from me and give it to you. As long as some sad ass is paying for the prisoner, they live.

December 06, 2005 10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suppose the larger, unasked question here is not whether an individual sentenced to death should have his sentence commuted, but rather: Should the State be in the killing business at all?

And as far as the expense of imprisonment, I can't imagine those in favor of the death penalty would change their position if it was more economical to keep prisoners alive. I would hope that our laws are established to do what's right, not to do what's cheap.

Add to that the number of recent exonerations by DNA evidence. You can't tell me that we haven't executed innocent people. We have.

But, like it or not, Americans want vengeance, pure and simple. Personally, I don't believe the State should be in the vengeance business. It reduces us to the level of the criminals. We should be above that.

December 06, 2005 11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thankfully jedesign is in the minority. Whether it is death or life in prison it is punishment not vengeance. The victims aren't the ones setting the punishment, the judges are. *Sheesh* So now, if jedesign and his ilk have their way, we'll tell all criminals that the penalty for their crime is a better life in jail. I don't see that working to deter crime.

Tim's comment is a well thought out and good one. I hadn't thought of the registration idea. I like that, but the scary thing is that there are those that would give their money to keep prisoners alive and would probably become a business in itself. Hmm... Yes, I like that idea.

December 06, 2005 3:49 PM  
Blogger ChargeOfQuarters said...

Tookie can kiss my white Welsh and Dutch ass. If you go to his website, he labels himself the "Co-founder" of the Crips Street Gang. He is unrepentant(he has not confessed to killing those 4 people), he does not help Law Enforcement with info on the Crips, and he is not cooperative in ant other way, as well.

I think I might drive to San Quentin nextweek to watch the festiviies.

Also, if/when he does die, there could be some cicil disobedience, so be careful (I myself am loading up on ammo).

The Corporal.

December 06, 2005 6:31 PM  
Blogger ChargeOfQuarters said...

tammie shounds hot; can you arrange a meeting? Do you have her email?

December 07, 2005 5:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your links to the larger pic don't work. :(

January 03, 2006 1:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well this webpage has helped me to finish my report on a stricter death penalty. thank you all who contributed =). Moving on, atleast make prison life harder for the criminals you government bastards! if i ended up homeless, i'd aim towards getting sent to jail.

January 16, 2006 6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home